Uniting NC is working on a project that we hope will show why North Carolinians care about and appreciate their immigrant neighbors. We are collecting pictures of people from all backgrounds holding signs that sum up why they love and accept immigrants. Or, if the photo subjects are immigrants, why they embrace their adopted home in North Carolina. You can see more sample pictures on our Facebook page.
Our goal is to create a revolving slide show set to music, similar to this one created for the health care debate. We have people lined up to make the video. All we need now are more pictures from you and your friends, family, coworkers, or anyone who lives in North Carolina. The only requirements are a marker, a sheet of paper, a digital camera and a bit of creativity.
Here’s how you can participate in the Uniting NC sign project:
- Spend some time thinking about why you love, support, appreciate or relate to immigrants to North Carolina. If you are an immigrant, think about what you appreciate about living here.
- Condense your thoughts into a short statement, ideally 12 words or less.
- Use a black marker to write your statement clearly on a plain white piece of paper.
- Have someone photograph you holding the sign. Make sure to take the picture close up, like the ones shown, and try to take it outdoors with natural light and a nice background. If possible, make the background your home, workplace or somewhere that says something about you.
- Email your picture to email@example.com.
If you need help crafting your message, email Kristin for help. Once we have enough pictures, we’ll post the finished video on our website and on Facebook. Please help us make this idea a reality.